That’s right – another birthday – another year of blessings – two years away from the big 50 – can this really be me? Don’t mistake this for a mid life crisis or unstable emotional state, but I’m wrestling with this reality – and I’m not sure I like the ramifications. I can feel it in my body, especially after a 41 mile bike ride. I get asked if I can receive senior discounts (and by the way, from now on, I’m taking every one of them). The big C word – you know the one that starts with colon and ends with an “osopy” – two years away. My daughter will graduate from college next May. My son will graduate from HS next May. Marla and I will be very close to an empty nest as birthday #49 rolls in next summer – that actually has a nice ring to it.
So what’s the point of this Monday morning whine? I’m glad you asked – because here is what birthday #48 brought to mind on my Sunday afternoon bike ride:
- I don’t spend enough time counting my blessings and I’m going to do better! We used to sing that hymn regularly – “count your many blessings name them one by one” – and I’m going old school this year and singing that hymn in my heart and my life! I would challenge you to do the same thing.
- I spend too much time “doing” and not enough time “being” – and I’m going to do better! If you were in church Sunday, you know what I mean by this, but I’m making a commitment to put first things first in my life this year – and I would challenge you to do the same thing. Every day in God’s word is a non-negotiable! Regular time doing the Mark 1 thing – Silence, Solitude and Prayer – just like Jesus.
- I allow too much negativity to impact my heart and impact my soul – and I’m going to do better! I could write for a week on this but I’ll simply say this – negativity crushes the spirit and I can and will do better – will you join me?
Several quick updates and reminders:
- TOMORROW MORNING – RELOAD for Men at 6am in the Family Life Center (note the new location) – Dr. Tim Wenthe will be leading our study – Men, be there!
- TOMORROW evening from 6-8pm – FEED is cooking (formerly Proverbs 31) and YOU are invited to join them!
- Father/Son cookout at Weldon Springs this Saturday from 5-7pm – you need a ticket but there is no charge for the gathering – contact Joyce Mathias or call the office for more information.
- Coffee at the Crossing Game night – Sunday night July 30 from 6:30 – 8pm – come on out, I can’t wait!
- Connections event for ALL at Little Galilee on Sunday August 13 from 5-8pm – Pool, Zip Line (from 5-7pm) and great fellowship! BYOF – bring your own food.
- MOBILE Food Pantry – hosted by FCC -held at the American Legion – Saturday August 19 – help needed from 9am-noon.
- Block Party – Sunday August 27 from 5-7pm
Have a great week – looking forward to week 3 of our Just Like Jesus series on Sunday as we look at Identity – Who are You?